Food and drink
Typical drinks in Milan
- Negroni sbagliato (or simply sbagliato), with sparkling wine instead of gin
- Spritz— either with Aperol or Campari; try both to decide which one you prefer! 😉
- Local wines from Lombardy
- Valtellina, Franciacorta, Oltrepò Pavese are areas of Lombardy with very distinct types of wines.
- Less common is Pinot Nero vinificato in bianco, a white wine made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- We also recommend Inferno (red Valtellina ) and Lugana (white Franciacorta).
Traditional and trendy dishes
- Risotto alla milanese (a savory, saffron- infused variety of risotto)
- Ossobuco (its name means “bone with a hole” – slices of veal shank cut right through the bone, so the marrow ends up flavoring the braising liquid)
- Cotoletta alla milanese (a fried veal breaded cutlet similar to Wiener Schnitzel, but cooked with the bone in. It is traditionally fried in clarified butter)
Places to go
- The Navigli and Brera districts have many food and drink opportunities.
- Go to Luini (near the Duomo) to eat Panzerotti (a snack similar to a mini calzone)
- Explore the food hall Mercato Centrale (near the central station). Tip: The second floor is less crowded!
- Joia is the first vegetarian restaurant in Europe to be awarded a Michelin star and in walking distance from the conference venue.
- Panghea offers creative and high-end vegan dishes with a focus on organic produce, in a bright, plant-filled space.
For shopping and gifts, visit La Rinascente. There you can enjoy an aperitivo on the top floor with a view of the Duomo’s intricate roof. Milan has a lot to offer!
If you decide to explore the city on your own, consider using public transport:
- A Ticket from € 2,20 is valid for 90 minutes from the first validation and good for multiple trips.
- A daily ticket costs € 7,60 and is valid for 24 hours from the first validation for as many trips as you want.
- A 3-days ticket costs € 13,00, is valid for 3 consecutive days and poses no limit to the number of trips; it expires at the end of service on the third day (at 03:45 in the morning).
- Carnet of 10 tickets costs € 19,50; each ticket is valid for 90 minutes from the first validation. This carnet cannot be used by several people at the same time.